Sunday 18 March 2012

WIP Punctuation String Quilt

WIP Punctuation String Quilt by Blue Bellbird
At the beginning of the year I decided I would finish all the projects I had on the go before starting anything new. So far I have finished two quilt tops and now have 12 more blocks to go on this one. This is going to be massive! There are a few holes in the layout but another two rows of blocks to add too. I'm really pleased with how it is looking and I know I'm going to love it even though I must confess I have not really enjoyed making these blocks. It is row after row after row of straight stitching which ain't a lot of fun. I have twelve blocks to go so I am going to do them in sets of three. I hope to have them all finished by easter when I will begin quilting all the tops I have finished up this year. I feel a huge sense of satisfaction in getting on with these projects and getting them finished.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about quilting, I really love it but getting a whole quilt done takes up a lot of time and doesn't leave me much time for my first love - making bags! There are still four quilts I absolutely want to make: A swoon in gorgeous blue florals I have been stashing for a year, Jaybird Quilts Radio Way in Denyse Schmidt fabric, Fig Tree quilts Beach Boardwalk and Elizabeth Hartman's Sparkle punch quilt to use up some of my scraps. As well as this I am in three virtual quilting Bees that require me to make two blocks a month and I will have a bunch of quilt blocks from the lovely ladies in these bees to put together in June. I also have various knitting, crochet and bag making projects underway.

I completely love craft and see loads of fabulous projects I want to make but I don't like having loads of unfinished projects and I sometimes feel overwhelmed by the amount of stuff I have on the go. From now on I am going to try to manage my crafting mania in a better way. I'm not going to sign up for any more flickr swaps or quilting bees. After June I will only belong to one bee for the next year. I have signed up to the Fat Quarter Shop designer Block of the Month so I will make one block a month and have a quilt done by the end of the year. I will only start new quilt projects in school holidays when I can commit enough time to them to get them done. The rest of the time I will work on small projects and only start one new project a month. So this is my plan, I hope it will work and reduce my craft anxiety.

Does anyone else feel the same way? How do you manage your projects?

Via Flickr:
Blogged

1 comment:

  1. Haha the first thing I was going to ask if those "not machtching " blocks in between were on purpose, but they are just another quilt peaking through the "holes". Aye it looks tedious but the result is really really great.
    As to the time management .. I don't really have any tips ... I just always too few time, and I wonder how all those quilters manage to sew that much...

    ReplyDelete