Tuesday 13 March 2012

A Great Bag Making Book

Welcome to the first of my new monthly series of craft book reviews. I love looking at all the books out there and there are so many great ones. Once a month I plan to review a book and make at least one item from each book. I'm kicking off the series with my favourite crafty project - making bags.



This is a wonderful book absolutely packed with fabulous ideas for making bags. It contains 19 smart and stylish projects, with fairly simple patterns, suitable for beginners through to more advanced sewists. Instructions are straightforward and supported by clear images. If, like me, you are a visual learner who prefers to see how to do things, rather than read instructions, this book will suit you well.


The first section of the book gives basic sewing information and teaches some of the skills needed for bag making such as inserting magnetic snaps, making pockets and making piping. It also gives advice on choosing fabrics and working with colour.


The main part of the book contains 19 patterns, divided into three sections; small bags, clutches and large bags. Projects range from pencil cases and wallets to smart school bags and elegant clutches. The bags are all beautifully photographed and Sue Kim has used stylish modern fabrics to create some stunning bags. I especially liked the way each project is shown in a variety of different colours and sizes providing plenty of inspiration for fabric and colour choices.


In the interests of providing an unbiased and accurate review (and not at all because I am obsessed with making bags) I tried out the Market bag pattern using some lovely Loulouthi velveteen I had stashed. The pattern was well drafted and the instructions clear and simple to follow. Being a bit taller than average I lengthen the straps and was delighted with the result. I like big bags and the finished Market bag was roomy and comfortable to carry.





Side View


If you have a few sewing projects under your belt I would highly recommend this book. Beginners with some experience could probably attempt some of the simpler projects. There is plenty for the intermediate to advanced sewists too. The bags look fantastic, the fabrics are modern and stylish and this book will provide plenty of inspiration for sewing projects.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    I haven't heard of this book before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to read a review of this book as it's on my wish list and love your velveteen bag!

    ReplyDelete