Thursday 8 March 2012

London Modern Quilt Guild February Challenge

The LMQG set a challenge, based on Valentine's Day, for the month of February. Since I have promised myself not to start any more quilts until I have finished up my many quilts in progress I decided to make a bag instead. (The finish it up rule does not apply to bags since they are quick to make and I always finish them within a day or two). I decided to go with a traditional red and white design and appliqued a heart shaped motif made up of lovebirds, flowers and hearts.


I enjoyed doing the applique so much I very nearly forgot to quilt the bag. It was at the back of my mind and I kept thinking London Modern Quilt Guild, there is something I need to do, what is it again? I ended up staying up until way past midnight on the night before the meeting so I could get it quilted. I didn't know what style of quilting to do and in the end I just went for straight lines radiating from the heart. I really like the way the quilting turned out.


I love the interiors of bags so I continued the heart theme inside. I chose my favourite spotty Delilah fabric from Tanya Whelan and then made pockets from the gorgeous Melody Miller fabric as the love letters seemed completely appropriate. I used a heart shaped magnetic snap to close the bag.



I'm so pleased with the finished bag and it is large enough for me to fill it up with all the wonderful things I love to buy from the shops.


(and of course my kitty loves it too)

No comments:

Post a Comment